What are you looking for?

Friday, August 26, 2011

**Rules To Being a True, Southern Housewife**

Okay Ladies! My first post. Well first let me start out by saying that I was searching online for a blog about being a young, southern housewife. I kept finding blogs that weren't catered to my age group...or they were blasting the way of life that I enjoy...or they were complaining about having to cook & raise kids. It just wasn't what I was trying to find. So I decided to create my own. I know that the "traditional housewife" way of life isn't for everyone & that's fine. It's not for everyone & not everyone can meet the expectations of such. But if you're interested, & want to learn how to become the wife that you want to be, then read on! My husband is not the kind of man that has to have dinner cooked every night, or has to have a spotless kitchen, or freshly baked bread & peach cobbler. But he likes it, and what husband wouldnt?? I feel like after every long, hard day of work he deserves to have a hot meal & clean sheets to lay down in. I am my own biggest critic, but I strive to be the very best I can be for him-because thats what he deserves! So now you say, well where do I start? Well, to be the proper housewife, you must first know what is expected out of you inside the home. I found an article circa 1950s that runs down a list of "to-dos" for housewives, its a bit dated (ive included the link), so Ive modified it to fit todays life & added some of my own! Then we will move on to being the proper hosewife outside the home. Inside the home is where the real business goes down. You can't fake this. Either you can cook, clean, keep up your (ahem) "wifely duties" & look good doing it...or you can't. But Im going to help you as much as possible! Just believe in yourself because sometimes it gets hard, and sometimes frustrating. But the appreciation your husband will give you will be well worth your trouble!

How To Be The Proper Southern Housewife: (inside the home)
Rule #1. You must know how to cook (always) delicious, (sometimes) healthy meals. If you can't do anything else, you must do this! Sometimes your hubbys fave meals aren't so healthy...therefore, its okay to serve fried chicken & buttery mashed potatoes...just not every night. You love your hubby so don't kill him! Every girl has heard "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach." I am a firm believer in this!  And mean women cant cook. jsyk. Now, not every girl is talented when it comes to cooking, and it does take practice. You should know how to cook real meals, not boxed ones. But it isnt against the rules to make something out of a box or a bag every now and then, depending on busy schedules (or worse, the monthly!) However, you should try to cook real meals as much as possible. Ive included a weeks worth of cheap, easy recipes in a seperate blog that will get you started. I suggest cooking when he isnt there, so if you burn something or mess up, he wont see & you can cover it up before he ever gets home. If you get home before your hubby, wrap your hair up in a towel or shower cap to keep the smell of whatever your cooking out of it. If he's home while youre cooking, def dont wear the shower cap, wear an apron (it makes you look more official) & cook with a smile, even if youre feeling a bit frazzled. Plate the food for him (I know hes a big boy, but you did all this work & this is the big finish!) & always serve him first!
Rule #2: You need to have the house cleaned by the time your husband gets home. My friends have said "with the kids & everything I just dont have time to get anything done!" I think its an excuse. Of course, you will have your days where you cant do everything but not everyday. Thats just being lazy. I was a nanny for 3 years while I was in nursing school & the wives would come home & say "how did you manage to do everything (laundry, dishes, sweeping, mopping & craft time) & keep the kids happy? And the house is so clean!"  Its all about time management & teaching your kids to clean up after themselves. Not rocket science.
Rule #3. Prepare for his departure in the mornings. Get up before him. Give yourself enough time to get ready. Brush your hair, wash your face, put on some mascara & gloss. Make his lunch-everyday. Anyone can make a sandwich or pack a thermos. Put some snack he likes in too! My hubby works all day so I have to pack him enough for lunch & dinner. I included some lunch ideas on the recipe post. Walk him out to the car, kiss him goodbye and tell him you love him everyday. Wave until you cant see him anymore.
Rule #4. Prepare yourself for his arrival home. Take 15mins before your hubby arrives home to clean yourself up a bit. Re apply that lip gloss, smooth your hair (for goodness sake take off the shower cap!) Spritz some perfume through the air and walk through it to give yourself a light scent. Does your husband work outside with a crew? He has seen enough work weary people. He doesnt need to come home and see his wife frazzled, still in her rags! Or does your husband work in an office? You wouldnt let him come home & catch you looking like an hagard old lady if you knew what the women in his office were wearing everyday! You shouldnt let yourself go because you are married. You should look like a shiny trophy because you are PRIZED! Your home should be a haven. A quiet haven. Have the laundry done so it isnt making a ruckus, have the kids doing a quiet activity. Always greet him with a kiss & a smile. Let him know how happy you are to have him back home!
Rule#5. Do not be a nagger!  Especially as soon as he comes in the door! I can not emphasize this enough. The Bible says a nagging wife is like a dripping faucet. Its annoying! And nagging your hubby wont make him do anything but try to get away from you. There are certain things a southern housewife never does btw which are: touch the trash, do any yardwork other than recreational gardening or do any kind of repair work with your car. Unless you enjoy doing car repair work...which just as a reminder, isnt lady like. Save your requests for later after he has had time to relax.
Rule #6. You must know how to clean. No man wants to live in piggy mess! Especially if you are home all day, ther isn't an excuse for your house being a mess. Ladies, a home reflects on no one else who lives there but YOU, so get it together! This doesnt just mean to pick up whats in the floor. A true southern housewife wont just clean what she knows others can see, but her house will be truely clean & will always smell nice. Whether it is from the homemade peach bread cooking, or the apple & cinnamon spray from the dollar store-smells are important! I will include cleaning lists to get you started.
Rule #7. Don't forget how to be sexy! You should wear sexy things around the house. You could wear something sexy like a low cut dress to cook dinner in, or go all out and make it in nothing but an apron...just dont cook anything that splatters. :)  Be surprising! Be fun! Be the sexy wife he married!
Rule #8. Being a good hostess is at the bottom of this list, but it is no less important. A true southern housewife (or any southern lady for that matter) knows that the center of life is the home. The atmosphere of your home will be carried in the minds of those you invite in. You should throw parties, get togethers & girls nights, & you should do this often. A good hostess should be accomodating & charasmatic. She should be on top of her mingling as well as her cooking. Any party you host should be fun & light with a group of people who are an intersting mix but also have a common thread. I will go into more details in a later blog of how to be the perfect hostess later because it is very important.

How To Be The Proper Southern Housewife: (outside the home)
**I admit, some of these things are for show. But if a proper southern lady is what you want others to see you as, then doing them will help others see you as a respectable lady in the community**

Rule#1. Always dress appropriately. In a small town like I live in, one slip on this one can ruin you. You wear something to short to a funeral, or something too tight to church, or something too frumpy to the grocery store, and the jig is up! No one will take you seriously, invite you to the get togethers & they will talk about you behind your back. My rule of thumb is, "if you have to ask if its inappropriate, it is." This is by no means saying that you shouldn't look nice or dress to accentuate what you have. But having your hooters hang out during Sunday prayer isn't the appropriate place. Sometimes less is more ladies, & covering up what only your hubby should be seeing is good. A low cut v-neck dress with heels is fine if youre going out to dinner with your hubby-just remember to dress for the occasion!
Rule #2. Always be well put together. Your nails need to be clean & trim. Get them done if you can afford to do so! You shouldn't be pasty, so make time to get some color. Your hair is a BIG DEAL!! It should be smooth & brushed. A ponytail looks nice if you just brush it out so there isnt an excuse. And thats why God made hats...if youre just having one of those days. Your personality should be put together too. You should be calm, prestine, elegant. You should work hard to not accentuate your own flaws.
Rule #3. You should show up where you are expected to be. These places include your schools PTA if you have kids, church & sunday school & all of your friends parties.
Rule #4. You should know the rules to follow while being a guest @ a party or a houseguest. I am creating another post dedicated to this, because just like throwing parties, attending them is also important.
Rule #5. Mind your manners!  Nothing you try to do will matter if you dont have good manners. You should speak to everyone with kindness & respect. You should listen to others & always say please & thank you. You shouldn't make a fuss in public ever & always you ma'am & sir. Manners & charm will get you further in most cases than anything else will.
















16 comments:

  1. I just discovered this blog, and I *love* it! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful guidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hot patriarchal, misogynistic mess. Women, you don't need rules on how to behave. You're not animals or trophies. You're not maids or servants. You're human beings. Ugh. I can't even with this garbage. Wifely duties? These "rules" are nothing more than trademarks of abusive relationships and insisting that women be subjugated and subservient, existing within the parameters of patriarchy, only leaves them susceptible to abuse.Environments like the one you've just described allows for abuse to flourish. This is sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are human beings. However, those of us who wish to return to traditional, old school, values do not see this as such. If a woman is going to end up being abused, it doesn't matter if she is subservient or not. If she is with an abusive man, he will abuse her in ANY situation. The women of the generation before WWII were not necessarily abused, rather revered and admired. It was a simpler time for everyone. I would rather have a man who respected and valued the work I put into his home, my appearance (as it shows respect to the man who loves me and desires me) and my behavior in public than have one who doesn't care. My behavior reflects in who my significant other is and how he treats me. If I dress and act as a slob, then obviously he doesn't care so much.... Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's, but it is just that...an opinion...as is mine.

      Delete
    2. We choose this lifestyle because we choose to be selfless. We are in touch with reality to know the world doesn't revolve around us. We choose to serve our husbands with all our might, because our purpose in life is not to make ourselves happy. (Our men will accomplish that). It is our expression of love and respect, that we do everything we can to be a good wife. If we don't try, he will find someone who will...or he will suffer through lifelong mediocrity.

      Delete
    3. Women in WWII were nurses, teachers and other things. They came close to drafting women for that reason. It was a much different world for many reasons. If you want to see some aspects just look at the Middle East. I'm sure most people wouldn't be forced into roles. Abuse of women, children etc was common. Divorce was hard to get. What would you say to a man who chose to stay home? Can you often find a man who can support you? I agree most people I see are lazy slobs. I have a career plus do all the housewife tasks. Only difference is I use daycare.

      Delete
  3. Help! For some reason I cannot get the whole blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised this way and I definitely have a more old school traditional man. This blog is fabulous and right on point. I love Thia life style. And you know what? We are prized possessions. Our men value and adore us. There's nothing wrong with being shiny and well taken care of like any other prized possession. And maybe if more women did even just a few of these things daily this world wouldn't be so Dang ridiculous, there'd be less disrespectful children, and less unhappiness and divorce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised this way and I definitely have a more old school traditional man. This blog is fabulous and right on point. I love Thia life style. And you know what? We are prized possessions. Our men value and adore us. There's nothing wrong with being shiny and well taken care of like any other prized possession. And maybe if more women did even just a few of these things daily this world wouldn't be so Dang ridiculous, there'd be less disrespectful children, and less unhappiness and divorce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reaching out to the rare community of traditional women like us!!! Thank you for elevating moral behavior, modesty and selflessness. You are a beacon of hope in this selfish, crude, loose, broken world of broken relationships. From the country of Mississippi, I wish I could bake you a casserole

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am dating a southern man, I am not from the south so there are some differences and one of them is that if I do not know something I will ask questions, well now he is saying that I like to debate and I just want to challenge him....I am not sure what to do...Please advise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am dating a southern man, I am not from the south so there are some differences and one of them is that if I do not know something I will ask questions, well now he is saying that I like to debate and I just want to challenge him....I am not sure what to do...Please advise

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this article. And to the person above that thinks this idea is 'abusive?' Well, this has worked for me for 35 years. And I have been treated like a queen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I was raised like this too. I love being a stay at home wife and mother of two! It has been that way for almost 10. I do have a degree, however because my husband is an oilfield truck driver, it is better this way because of his crazy schedule. My husband and I have been together since I was 17 and Im 27 now. After reading this, I could definitely improve in a couple of areas because there are days that I just feel completely lazy. He is the primary income and doesn't throw a fit if the house is not spotless all of the time but I know that he would definitely appreciate it and I can do a better job sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The South? You mean brown toothed welfare queens with a kid by half the men in town? Do you just want to sound appealing so a truck driver will let you stay? Most of these rules were already ingrained in me by my mother, a feminist, pro-education and careers. I'm sorry you weren't raised right and therefore these concepts of being an adult are new.

    ReplyDelete